Monday, November 15, 2010

So much to be thankful for

As Thanksgiving quickly approaches (seriously, how is it a week away?), I realized that while I have a lot to do, I have even more to be thankful for. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays for two reasons- while there is some commercialization to it, Thanksgiving has stayed relatively free of American consumerism for me and it celebrates two of my favorite things - family and food. Between being swept up in the list of things to do before we host dinner and my never-ending quest to avoid engaging in Christmas until after Thanksgiving, I realized that I had not spent a lot of time just being thankful. So, I started reflecting last night about what I would say if someone asked me what I was thankful for. Now, I could just toss out the list of things I am thankful for and it would probably mirror the lists of many people and it would be a nice list but...

But it might lack real thought or unique perspective and it might just leave out some of my interesting things to be thankful for. So, here is my list of what I am thankful for this year - in no particular order - and I hope that everyone reading this takes some time to consider what you are most thankful for and then takes the time to say it out loud.

1. The perspective of a child: those who know me, know that I love kids and that I have nicknamed myself "rock star aunt". My niece and nephews are the most adorable, funny, interesting people(not that I am biased!) and their perspective constantly reminds me to appreciate the little moments. When they coming running to jump into my arms when I come over or get so excited about watching an "old" movie (like the Karate Kid) or showing me the latest gymnastics move, I am reminded that the simple things are often the most enjoyable and rewarding. And, I cannot fail to mention that moment when they snuggle in for a hug and just stay for an extra moment tucked into my neck - seriously, it is like heaven.

2. A True Partner: As is true for most people, I have had good and not so good relationships but I am truly thankful that I have such a wonderfully smart, funny, kind and engaging partner. Christy and I work at our relationship and almost seven years later, I can say with confidence that I have found someone who brings out the best in me. She reminds me that life is about more than things like work; it is about exploring and experiencing life with someone you enjoy and love. Whether we are hanging at home, flying somewhere together or chatting from two different cities, there is no one person I would rather be with and I am thankful every day that we found each other.

3. Basi Italia: Okay, so those who know me know that Christy and I spend a lot of time here, A LOT. And, so while I love this restaurant and I love the people who work here, it is about more than that. It is about community, great food and passion. I am thankful for Johnny and Trish, owners who love their employees, their guests and their community. I love that the staff takes the time to know their customers and to bring their passion forward each and every day. I love the moments I have shared over a glass (or a bottle!) of wine here and I love that when I cannot bear the thought of eating dinner by myself when Christy is traveling that they make me feel like I am always welcome. I love that we have found a home in this city that includes great places like Basi.

4. The ability to give back: I am thankful that I have the ability to give back - not just with money but with my time and my energy. Our communities do so much and there are so many who do not have the support network, resources or abilities to do it without that community support. Whether it is donating my time to the local food pantry, buying my Christmas tree in support of a local charity or spending my Monday afternoons with amazing youth at Kaleidoscope, I am thankful that I can and do give back.

5. A sense of culinary adventure: I love food and trying new things but that was not always true. I did not grow up with a diverse food palate so I often shied away from trying new and different things. Somewhere along the way, I got to know chefs who made me try things and I learned that I enjoyed WAY more stuff than I ever realized! As I learn more about Columbus and I see the passion of people in this city for food in all of its forms, I find myself trying new things, exploring new flavors and looking for the next food adventure. I am thankful that I opened my mind and my mouth because some of my most favorite experiences have included exploring food and trying new things.

6. New experiences: this year has had some ups and downs for me professionally and there was a moment or two when I was worried that I would not find a way to handle it with grace and perspective. I am doing something that I would not have necessarily seen myself doing but I am enjoying it and learning from it and growing into it. I don't know if it will be permanent or how the future will unfold but I am grateful for the opportunity to have new experiences and that I have been able to find all the good in those experiences.

7.Opportunity: As I thought about this list and I thought about the things that I am thankful for, I started thinking about the things that I have not yet experienced, the places I have yet to go, the foods I still want to try, the people I would love to meet and I realized - I am thankful for opportunity. I am thankful for the chance to live life to its fullest, to try new things and to a future that is filled with opportunity.

8. Family, in all its forms: I am blessed to have a huge, awesome family. Seriously. We hang out together, we go on vacation together, we laugh and cry and argue with each other and we really like each other, differences and all. Beyond my blood family though, I have so many people who I consider family - those who have played such an important role in my life that there is no other word to capture what they mean to me than to call them family. I think the best thing I have learned about having a big family is that there is always enough love to go around. Growing what you consider your family does not mean that you have to love anyone any less - your heart just expands as they come into your life. So, I am thankful for all the people in my life who are family, in the broadest, most welcoming sense of the word.

Now, this list is far from exhaustive but it is a good reminder that there are fun, serious, light-hearted and meaningful things to be thankful for this year. As I enjoy my Thanksgiving holiday with friends, family, colleagues and those I am just getting to know, I will take a moment to soak it all in and be sure to say just how thankful I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment